$50 for Stolen Laptop


Thursday, 29 September 2005 at 5:00 am Pacific USA Time.

A company is now offering "LoJack for Laptops." I thought that they put a GPS chip in your laptop so that if it’s stolen, they can track it like they do stolen cars. This sounds great!

But that’s not what it is. It’s software, and it uses the internet to tell a monitoring center where your laptop is. That means that if your laptop is stripped for parts, has the hard drive replaced, or never gets on the internet after it’s stolen, it won’t be found. As in if you get anything except a stupid theif, you’re going to be out of luck.

The website claims that pricing for the software + monitoring subscription starts at $49.99, but I can’t figure out why anybody should buy this. The website also claims that 90% of stolen laptops using their software were returned… but in what condition? And what about the other 10%?

The most interesting statement on the site was that if their software can’t locate your laptop, they’ll refund the price of the software. So if you spend $50+ on the software but it never finds your laptop, you can have the $50 back. Thanks but how about the $2000 laptop?

I think the best answer here is to back up frequently and have your insurance company fully cover your equipment. I know someone who had a laptop stolen recently, and his insurance company covered less than 1/3 of what he was STILL paying off. My insurance company told me about a rider I can get to cover one specific piece of equipment for any circumstance. It would cost more, but it would be foolproof and full coverage. If you have something that important, get the right insurance. If your data is that important, back it up all the time!

This software sounds like bad marketing spin.


Share!  
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Email
  • Digg
  • Google Reader
  • Delicious
  • Reddit
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati
  • Tumblr

Categories: That's Bad Marketing

Comments Closed

Comments are closed.